Spring break started out on a high note for the men's golf team as they claimed the Southern Intercollegiate Monday, March 13, beating three top-25 teams at the Athens Country Club in Athens, Georgia.
The Bisons fired a -12, 564 (285-279) to down No. 30 Florida State by three strokes.
“I’m extremely proud of our guys’ effort today, it was pretty awesome,” said Lipscomb director of golf Will Brewer. “We putted the ball really well and processed really well in some challenging conditions. What’s really exciting to me is that I believe we still have even better golf in us that what we showed today.”
- Lipscomb also edged out No. 13 Oklahoma, No. 24 Arkansas and host No. 19 Georgia in the victory.
- The Bisons led the tournament with 43 birdies and posted a 4.02 scoring average on par 4s.
- Eric Ansett led the team behind a -4, 140 (73-67) in a tie for sixth after carding a career best -5, 67 in the final 36 holes.
- Dawson Armstrong and Mikey Feher finished just a stroke back of Eric Ansett with a -3, 141s in a tie for eighth. Armstrong fired rounds of 70 and 71, while Feher posted rounds of 71 and 70.
- Transfer Trevor Gold finished tied for 16th in his first competition for the Bisons with a -1, 143 (72-71).
- Stoney Crouch rounded out the competitors for the Bisons with a +3, 147 (72-75).
- Kennesaw State’s Jake Fendt took home medalist honors with a -7, 137 (68-69).
On Sunday, March 19, men’s golf team wrapped up play in the 38th Annual Schenkel Invitational on Sunday tying for eighth place at the Forest Heights Country Club in Statesboro, Georgia.
“It was a tale of two tournaments for us,” said Brewer. “We were obviously on a high after winning Monday’s 36-hole event and very confident. The Schenkel was held at a very interesting golf course with some very trick hole locations and we didn’t handle It well.
“We didn’t putt well and we didn’t process well. Today may have been our worse day of the season and we still have a lot of work to do. I’m still proud of the way the guys fought. They did a great job of never giving up.”
- The Bisons posted a +12, 300 to conclude the 3-day event with a +4, 868 (281-287-300) tying with UAB.
- Dawson Armstrong posted a top-10 finish tying for eighth with a -5, 211 (66-70-75)
- Eric Ansett tied for 29th behind a +2, 218 (72-71-75)
- Mikey Feher finished one stroke behind Ansett with a +3, 219 (74-72-73)
- Trevor Gold tied for 53rd after carding a +9, 225 (69-77-79)
- Stoney Crouch rounded out the competition for the Bisons tying for 65th with a +13, 229 (78-74-77)
- Florida overtook host Georgia Southern on Sunday to claim top team honors with a -18, 846 (282-282-282) downing the Eagles by two strokes.
- Vanderbilt’s Patrick Martin took home medalist honors behind a 12-under, 204 (70-68-66) as he edged out UAB’s R.J. Keur, who finished two strokes back.
Up next: The Bisons head to the Magnolia State April 3-4 for the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship hosted by Mississippi State in West Point, Mississippi.